Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Dreams for Plans, or Making the Most of Literary London

I’m leaving for London one week from today, and although I am currently having ten simultaneous breakdowns on subjects like “packing” and “money,” I can’t say I’m leaving a minute too soon. I have been planning this move for almost a year now- ever since I said goodbye to London back in December. Even before I finished my semester abroad I knew I wasn’t done with the city that somehow managed to steal my heart and capture my imagination.

Luckily this time I have the benefits of experience and time to make sure I don't squander my days over there. I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about what I want to do with this extra time there, and how I can best experience London. I love planning (when I was 12 I planned out our family trip to Disney World- to the minute. Thanks for not killing me Mom), and I love projects. So after much thought I present to you:

The Stephanie Yoder London Book Club!
(membership: me)

If you do even a cursory internet search you can see that there is just a massive amount of literature written about London. And I don’t even mean books which are set there, but books which explore the nature of London itself, as a living entity. It may sound a little nutty, but clearly I am not the only one obsessed with this city- what a releif.

I want to read as many of these books as I can while I’m there. I’m hoping to average a book about every two weeks. If all goes according to plan I’ll be able to tie my own personal experiences into what I find in the literature. Maybe even make a few field trips to important places in the books. London is such a literary city that won't be difficult. Basically, the goal is to use these books as a tool for interpreting my own life.

I’m not sure if this idea is at all exciting to anyone but me. Of course this will all only be portion of what this blog is about. I’ll still be sharing my travels and my personal stories, so even if your not that into English literature hopefully my site won’t be a total nerd fest.

Or at least not more so then it already is...

No comments: