Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day 7: Leaving Town


Tomorrow I will have officialy been in London for a week! It feels pretty good. Today a british person asked me for directions and I was actualltable to give them! definatly a milestone.... too bad after that I managed to get myself lost for a good 2o minutes before I found UCL.
The past couple days have been extremely stressful as I've been running around trying to get my classes in order. For each class I have to go to the department and talk to the office, and look at the schedules to make sure they don't conflict and try and see if there is enough space in the course. Every department works different and has weird rules and deadlines to keep track of-it is a lot of work! I have a tentative schedule mapped out and hopefully everything will go smoothly from now on...
On Sunday I went out to High Wycombe to visit my aunt. The thing I love most about the trains is that everything is computerized. You never have to talk to a real person! This is good for me, I don't really like talking to people I don't know. And it is incredibly simple, I was able to get myself out there and back with no trouble at all.
The train ride was nice, I tried to take pictures out of the window of the English countryside. It was a really warm day, and the sky was blue blue blue. In high Wycombe my aunt loaded me up with things for the kitchen, cleaning supplies and even a desk lamp. She works for the US army base so she took me down there. It was very strange, like being back in the US for a couple of hours. We went to the grocery store there and i bought some cheerios and velveeta mac and cheese, the comforts of home. For dinner she took me to TGI Fridays which was totally bizarre. It was American but still the waiters were all british and the menu was worded oddly, it was kind of disorienting. Later she packed me back on the train and I got to navigate the British transport system while carrying all my new things! Cramming onto the tube with all my bags for some reason made me feel like a true Londoner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph,

I can empathize with the trials of registering for your classes. That is how we (my generation) had to register way back in the dark ages. It took days and days!
Hope it works out for you.

Mom

Anonymous said...

That picture of the countryside is BEAUTIFUL! It almost doesn't even look real...