Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wet Feet

During my usual prolonged morning procrastination I happened upon this neat little interview with Rick Steves. I know some people really don't like him (personally his guide books are little to narrow for my taste), but he does make Europe accessible to the average American, which I find commendable. The article short but it's basically all about how his life as a globe hopping travel writer is amazing and how he is so happy and how I might sell a kidney to Satan to have a life like his.

Anyways I liked what he said when the interviewer asked him "Why Europe all the time? Why not South America through the back door?"

Europe is my roots. I just have this hunger to learn more about my roots.
And I love the good living of Europe. I'm just a Europhile. There's nothing
wrong with South America. . . . But my job is to be the travel teacher for
Americans in what I consider the wading pool for world exploration: Europe.
That's where you go first.

At the moment I'm finally starting to plan a somewhat lengthy jaunt through southern Europe for when my work visa expires in May (money permitting- Satan, call me!). Once this is all over it's going to be time to explore another continent... or, you know, all of those countries and continents I'm still lusting to visit. But, like Rick says, Europe is my roots. I may not be well traveled yet but I'm getting my feet wet. Or at least damp.

No comments: