Monday, April 07, 2008

Playing catch up

This weekend I was discussing with my fellow Emory graduate/world traveler/blogger Alex how one of the major problems with keeping a blog is the constant maintenance. Sometimes you just don't feel like writing anything, but the very nature of blogging makes it absolutely essential to keep adding new material, or risk losing your audience. And the longer you go without updating the more stuff piles on that you feel you should mention, the more daunting the task becomes. So, in an effort to skirt the build-up, here's an update on everything I've been up to:

- Easter Weekend I had a fantastic visit from the love of my life Kim, her boyfriend Brian and our good friend Kate Lyn. Ate a lot of Peeps, watched a lot of girly TV and all the other fun things we used to do back when we were roommates (I've been living with boys so long I'd forgotten the simple joy of watching a Disney movie). Brian and Andy bravely tolerated us. We did some sight seeing, had an ill-fated attempt at the Monopoly Pub Crawl (not for beginners), and did some partying with the Australians- a must-do on any trip to London.

- The past couple weekends have been collaborating with Jason and Liz to complete Time Out Magazine's London Scavenger Hunt. They send you all around the city to gather various pieces of information off of buildings, statues etc. So far we are about halfway through, our efforts keep being cut short by completely miserable freezing rain. Still, we will succeed and win the grand prize- a trip to Antigua!

-London always has bizarre weather but this weekend was the strangest I have ever seen. On Friday it appeared spring might actually grace London with it's presence; I didn't even need a jacket walking home from work. Sunday morning I woke up to big thick snowflakes carpeting the world outside my window. This was the first real snow London had gotten this year (and the biggest recorded snow fall for April ever) but by 2 PM the sun had come out and the snow was gone! Except for a few wet patches you would never know it had snowed at all. Very strange.

-Finished reading Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh. It was a fun little book; mostly a satire of the post-WWI London social scene. Lots of shallow twenty-somethings living frivolous, hard partying lives whilst spending their parents money. It was a quick and enjoyable read, although most of the characters were obnoxious and rather unlikeable. I suppose that was the point though.
I've now moved on to a really delightful book called Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. It's a fantasy novel which takes place primarily under the streets of London. More on this later.

-Part of the reason I've been quiet here is that I've been spending a lot of my internet time researching some traveling that I'm planning to do in May after my visa expires. I'm really excited about it but it's still in the planning stages so I will save that for another post.

Alright... back to business as usual!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think my philosophy on "blogging" is different than yours. Granted you have been doing it much longer than I have(thats what she said), I dont blog for the audience. I blog for myself, to have some kind of memory of who I am and whatnot.

Well HEY mike, you ass, why dont you just have a man-diary then? Well, touche stephie, but I guess to be honest I write online because this way I can fill in my friends with whats going on in my life, and I can TRY to be funny.

Hmm... ive lost myself. Okay i guess my point is - dont feel obligated to write stuff! And...... keep being cute :)

And no, incase you were wondering, she hasnt replied yet. This does not bode well for me... :( Fucking Emo...

LOVE YOU!!!!!! (come visit me in Ko-rea)